NC Opportunity Scholarships
OPPORTUNITY SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN! The Opportunity Scholarship provides up to $4,200 for working class families for private school tuition. I want to break down what this could mean for you and your family and the simple steps to apply.
- Are you eligible? Visit School Choice North Carolina to see if you may qualify. This a determination of pre-eligibility and is not the official application. You must officially apply through the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority beginning February 1st.
- How does it work? Applications are accepted during the priority period (February 1st – March 1st) and are chosen in a lottery. For applications received after March 1st, applicants will be placed on a waiting list. Be sure to apply during the priority period!
- How do I apply? The application and portal has been updated for the 2019-20 school year and will look differently than in years past. Every applicant will need to create a NEW portal (calledMyPortal). You must apply for each child with a separate application. Again, each child needs their own application. Please be sure that you have submitted an application for each child that you wish to receive a scholarship for. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority for each child's application that you have submitted.
- Where can you use a scholarship? Use NC Schools Around Me to see which private schools around your home participate in the program; see their average tuition and more information as well. Schools continue to register to participate in the program, so please double check with the school and ask if they accept the Opportunity Scholarship. If the school you want to attend cannot be found, please reach out to the school directly to ask about their participation in the program.
- How do I renew my scholarship? If you received an Opportunity Scholarship for the 2018-19 school year and wish to renew your scholarship, you must officially renew through the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. You must sign into MyPortal where you will find a link to renew for the 2019-20 school year. If you want to apply for a scholarship for the first time for children who were not using a scholarship last year, you must create a new application for them.